DR CHELSEA HENDOW
Orthopedic Spine Surgeon
PHILOSOPHY OF CARE
Can I See Dr Hendow?
340 Dardanelli Lane
Los Gatos CA 95032
Monday & Friday
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
4140 Jade St #100
Capitola CA 95010
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
With Dr Hendow
CERVICAL & LUMBAR SPINE
Dr offers Cervical Spine Surgery that is performed to treat neck pain from nerve pinching or spinal instability.
MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY
Dr offers minimally invasive spine surgery which results in less pain, shorter hospital stay, and faster recovery.
Disc replacement surgery is a treatment for damaged spinal discs in the back and spine.
Dr offers TeleHealth consultations for patients who are not able to visit the office in person.
About Dr Hendow
Dr Hendow is an orthopedic surgeon fellowship-trained in spine surgery. She manages traumatic and degenerative diseases of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine including stenosis, disc herniations, radiculopathy, myelopathy, deformity, trauma, tumors, and infection. Her practice includes customized operative and nonoperative interventions to help patients achieve their goals, including minimally invasive techniques and robotic surgery. Her focus is on patient values and shared decision making, with consideration for the whole patient.
Dr Hendow grew up locally, and recently returned to the bay area with her husband and son to be close to family and serve her community. She enjoys hiking with her family and dogs, and traveling.
Dr Hendow received her undergraduate degree in physiology from UCLA, followed by a masters degree in biophysics from Georgetown University. She attended medical school at New York Medical College where she was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, then completed her residency in orthopedic surgery at University of Pennsylvania. Before joining Golden State Orthopedics & Spine, she completed a fellowship in spine surgery at the Rothman Institute/Thomas Jefferson University, regarded as one of the top spine fellowships in the country.
BS University of California, Los Angeles (Physiological Sciences, Minor in Anthropology)
MS Georgetown University School of Medicine (Physiology and Biophysics)
MD New York Medical College
Orthopedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA
New York Medical College Academic Merit Scholarship
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Junior Inductee
Orthopaedic Resident Achievement Award for Exceptional Service
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
University of Pennsylvania Women in Surgery
North American Spine Society
1. Kanhere AP, Lambrechts MJ, Issa TZ, Karamian BA, Hendow CJ, Reddy YC, Slota PJ, Hilibrand AS, Kepler CK, Vaccaro AR, Schroeder GD. The effect of tranexamic acid on operative and postoperative blood loss in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusions. World Neurosurgery. 2022 July 15;S1878-8750(22)00957-3.
2. Schmidt EC, Dear KA, Hendow CJ, Miller L, Mehta S, Hast MW. Examining the novel use of continuous compression implants in clavicle reconstruction: A biomechanical study. Clinical Biomechanics. 2021 July 21;88:105437.
3. Beschloss A, Ishmael T, Dicindio C, Hendow CJ, Ha A, Louie P, Lombardi J, Pugely A, Ozturk A, Arlet V, Saifi C. The expanding frontier of outpatient spine surgery. International Journal of Spine Surgery. 2021 April;15(2):266-273.
4. Hendow CJ, Cahill PJ. Posterolateral decompression and interbody fusion for high-grade spondylolisthesis. In: Sankar W, Flynn JM, pediatric section editors. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery, 3rd ed. Lipincott Williams & Wilkins, 2021.
5. Hendow CJ, Smith HE, Canseco JA, Patel PD, Vaccaro AR. Acute fractures in sport: thoraco-lumbar spine. In: Robertson G, Maffulli N, editors. Fractures in sport. Springer Nature, 2021.
6. Hendow CJ, Cazzulino A, Beschloss A, Lombardi J, Louie P, Pugely A, Ozturk A, Ludwig S, Saifi C. Marked increase in primary atlantoaxial spinal fusion surgeries in the United States. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine. ePub 2020 Jan.
7. Schmidt EC, Dear K, Hendow CJ, Miller L, Mehta S, Hast MW. Nitinol staple fixation of clavicle fractures results in a more flexible construct than plating [poster]. Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) 2020 Annual Meeting; 2020 Feb 8-11; Phoenix, Arizona.
8. Hendow CJ, Beschloss A, Louis PK, Lombardi JM, Shillingford J, Khan SR, Laratta J, Arlet V, Saifi C. Economic trends in spinal deformity surgery in the United States between 2012 and 2015 [presentation]. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) 2020 Annual Meeting; 2020 Mar 24; Orlando, Florida.
9. Hendow CJ, Sloan M, Sheth NP. Post-traumatic arthritis increases total knee arthroplasty complication rates [abstract]. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal 2019 Jun;30.
10. Behar B, Hendow CJ, Piper M, Levin LS. Cervical spine fusion after osteomyelitis using vascularized free fibula autograft. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal 2019 Jun;30.
11. Swarup I, Shields M, Mayer EN, Hendow CJ, Burket JC, Figgie MP. Outcomes after total hip arthroplasty in young patients with osteonecrosis of the hip. Hip International. 2017 May 12;27(3):286-292.
PATIENT EDUCATIONAL VIDEOS