Northern California Frozen Shoulder Treatment
Causes of Frozen Shoulder
The exact cause of frozen shoulder is unknown. However, frozen shoulder often occurs after surgery or injury, when the shoulder joint has been immobilized for an extended period of time.
Frozen shoulder can also occur as a result of chronic conditions like arthritis or diabetes, and people over 40 are more likely to develop frozen shoulder.
Frozen shoulder at a glance:
- Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) is a condition in which the capsule of connective tissue around the shoulder joint becomes thicker, restricting movement.
- Common symptoms include pain, stiffness, and restricted range of motion, which develop in several stages.
- Treatment options include over-the-counter pain medication, physical therapy, or injections of corticosteroids or sterile water into the affected joint. Be sure to talk to your pharmacist before purchasing anti-inflammatories as these medications may be contraindicated as they may interact with other medications and medical conditions.
- Most cases of frozen shoulder go away within 18 months, but for some patients, surgery may be necessary.
Symptoms of Frozen Shoulder
Symptoms of frozen shoulder usually develop gradually over several months, and typically include:
- Shoulder pain
- Restricted range of motion in the joint
Frozen shoulder symptoms can last for 12-18 months and will usually go away over the course of several months.
Treatment for Frozen Shoulder
Initial treatment for frozen shoulder includes non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine like Advil or Aleve. Applying heat or ice to the joint and gently stretching it, as well as injections of corticosteroids or sterile water into the joint, can also help relieve the pain.
Physical therapy can help maintain the joint’s range of motion. However, if the symptoms are severe and treatment is not helping, surgery may be necessary.
If you are experiencing pain or other symptoms, call us at 925-939-8585 to make your appointment or book it online
Patients Success Stories:
“Dr. Wong is the best and I’ll be back to her for the other hip when it is time for that to be done. Five stars!”
“My care was exceptional and my pain was immediately gone.”
“I can never say enough about how much better I am.”
“I’m a lifelong patient of Dr. Roth now! He made it a very good experience. I woke up a little dazed, but with no pain, and there’s no scar.”